Wednesday, May 4, 2011

8/8 Barber's Notch in Red Horn

8/8 Barber's notch that's finished and headed to it's new home
He was looking or something red, so I started looking around to see what I had.
At the bottom of my pile I found a piece of dyed red horn, so I thought I would give it a try.
I have to say about half through sanding it, I thought for sure I would throwing it in the trash.
I decided leave the face of the horn as it, with imperfections and all. I thought, if it happen to polish up OK, the imperfections for give it an old/worn look to it.
Once I started polishing it, I really like how it was turning out. It's almost a 2-tone color (which doesn't really come through in the pics)
Anyway, her she is



***Update:

Well the red horn formed a superficial crack at the pivot hole. Typically it was wouldn't be a problem but with the horn is dyed red and not very deep. That is part of what makes it look good when sanded but sand to much and the red is gone...
So this razor got some new scales. Tortoise Shell acrylic.
Her is how she looks now.


2 comments: